Wednesday 7 March 2007

gaming journal week 4 - homo ludens.

Huizinaga beliefs state that when we play a game we enter a magic circle. There are limitations within this circle. Salen et al state “As a player steps in and out of a game. He or she is crossing that boundary – or frame that defines the game in time or space.” (2004)

Although the magic circle is merely one example of Huizinga’s list of play-grounds, the term is used as shorthand for the idea of a special place in time and space created by a game.

I decided to apply the magic circle to Pac-Man. I have always loved this game ever since we got our first computer at home and it was one of the games we had on it. The game is brilliant, even though the concept is really simple unless you immerse yourself completely into it and concentrate really hard you are bound to loose. As the levels get harder you really need to step into the game because otherwise you will be caught out and have to go right back to the beginning. The boundaries within the game involve the timing and getting away from the enemy that eats you otherwise you will loose a live and have less chance of getting to the next level. The Lusory attitude did apply to Pac-Man as I was the player who wanted to take part in the game and I wasn’t able to do this until I had purchased/downloaded the game from the internet. I wanted to play the game as well so this enabled me to put my all into trying to do as well as I could on the levels. I managed to pick up the rules quickly and apply them into my style of playing, but then when I began to get bored I was easily able to leave the game and carry on as normal. But when bored I can always enter the magic circle when ever I feel like it.





Word Count 327.

No comments: